Saturday, November 28, 2009

Toys For Your Furry Friend or Yes, I'm Shilling

Welcome back. My last little blog took forever to write as Russell's family are in Chicago for the holidays. So many distractions, lots of good company and food. And what is with this celebration centered around a huge cooked bird? I mean I'm all for poultry but this thing was HUGE! I thought Chicago pigeons were big. Humans!

Let's talk toys for a moment or two. I think one of the biggest requests we get at Zane + Zara's is for an indestructible toy. Well, I can tell you, after all this time watching in awe as Zara rips to shreds any and all toys, you'll probably not find one. Yes, they come in varying degrees of toughness but indestructibility is a tough find. My suggestion to all of you out there is this: rethink how you are using toys. Giving us a soft, chewy toy that even squeaks and then expecting us to not rip it apart just goes against every instinct we have. The "shrinks" call it a prey instinct and all dogs and cats have it. Our ancestors did not run around the kitchen island, looking like fools waiting to be fed. They went out and hunted for dinner. And that drive to hunt propels us today. OK, me not so much, I'm very content to have my food brought to me. Zara, on the other hand, is a hunter to the bone. What a maniac! Every squirrel is a potential meal and every other dog is a competitor. Talk about a girl who doesn't like to share. Russell and John are very nice about making sure we each get the same things but I'll be damned if Zara doesn't hoard every bone and good toy. Yeah, the crappy stuff she'll let me have but the cool things she pretty much keeps to herself. Bitch. If she waives one of those deer antlers in my face one more time I think I'll call the ASPCA.

Back to the subject of the day: Our prey instinct drives us to kill. So what you really need to do is stop trying to find an indestructible toy and start playing with us. Take that toy and toss it for us. We'll chase it like it's...well, it's dinner. You can even show us how to get the hang of bringing it back to you. Personally, I think that's a bit below me but, hey, they don't call 'em "retrievers" for nothing. My motto is, "you throw it, you chase it."And once everyone is good and tuckered out, take the toy and put it away. If you are going to be so kind as to give us something to chew on then make it something made to be chewed on. There is a whole host of things out there just begging to be gnawed on. Look for labels like: Kong, Nylabone or our current favorite: Otis and Claude products. If it has to be something soft try items by Tuffy or Mighty. Mighty toys even come in different levels of durability 1-10. Though, again, even a level 10 is no match for Zara. (I think I caught her chewing on one of the car tires once.) Or do something really great and make it something natural. We have these amazing smoked bones at Zane + Zara's. I'm talking natural, Omaha, Nebraska, smoked bones. And sizes for the tiny or the huge. Granted the display looks like a scene from CSI but...I'm drooling on the keyboard. Or if you're worried about stains on your carpet of possible stomach upset go for a deer antler. Now we're talking a tough toy. It took Zara a good two months to chew her last antler down to a size where John and Russell took it away.  They are so good. And don't forget Bully Sticks or Flossies. Yes they can get a little gross but they are delicious.

That's about it. If you're looking for a little holiday treat for your furry friend come on in to Zane + Zara's. (This is the shilling part.) Toy Island is in the back and there is lots of great stuff to chose from. Just don't hold something up and ask is it tough enough for your dog. If you have to ask the question, you already have your answer. If you just throw a stuffed toy on the ground and leave us alone with it you're going to come back to just what you deserve: and empty husk, stuffing all over the place and a missing squeaker causing a bowel obstruction. Good times for all.

And let's not forget about cats. Personally, I've never seen one but I do know that John and Russell often talk about getting a "store" cat. I decided to do some research. While cats do have a bit of an imperious reputation, most of them do love their toys. And there is the whole catnip thing. Humans are wrestling with whether to legalize marijuana yet they'll happily get their cats loaded on catnip. They even put it in their toys. I think it's because they're to lazy to mix them drinks but who am I to judge. John and Russell have dedicated the entire right/western side of the store to cats. Cat toys are colorful, fanciful, stuffed with cat crack or not. Come in and take a look. Your kitty needs a little fun too.

Have fun folks. This holiday season only comes around once a year and your pets deserve to be in on the celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment